Friday, August 28, 2009

Feeling Faint Falderal







Not really. Just very tired. The fms has knocked me for a loop and all I want to do is sleep. It could be much, much worse.

You know how each occupation or lifestyle has its own humor? When I worked in a hospital, the jokes we told there did not translate into the every day world. People thought it morbid. Same thing with ethnic jokes, senior moments, etc.

Talking with one of Isabella's schoolmate's mom's, M, I questioned her about what she thinks is acceptable in the world of people who love someone who has autism. I told her that I almost wrote out the comment, "At least, with her autism, Isabella always has someone to talk to." (see http://conquerautism.com/blog/?tag=scripting) M laughed and agreed that others wouldn't get it. As a matter of fact, they might think it cruel when it is just the statement of a gram who loves her grandchild more than she could ever think it possible to!

There is a site that sells t-shirts such as "Proud Grandparent of an Autistic Granddaughter." Another shirt states, "Autism rocks! And flaps and spins..." Would you be apalled to see that last one? M said that is her favorite! My daughter is afraid to wear that one because she is afraid she might hurt the feelings of one of the other parents at school.

I guess it is a matter of what one is comfortable with and the spirit in which they present it. For some, one of those shirts is the same as the having an autism awareness magnet on their car. Still, maybe I ought to stick with something like this: Or, more importantly, this:

Do you work in a field or have an interest where the humor related to it doesn't translate to the rest of the world? See above.

Other than sleep, how to you get beyond fatigue? Going for a walk might work.

Any plans for the weekend? My greatniece is being dedicated on Sunday and I am attending the party and service. It will be good to have the family together.

Are you sad because summer is waning or are you looking forward to autumn? The only sad part of summer ending for me is the shortened daylight hours. Other than that, bring on the crisp, cool days of autumn!

Sing or hum? Used to be sing all the time but I find I don't know as many words as I do tunes these days so humming it is!

Hoping that all is well in your world, g

2 comments:

  1. Arrrggg...I can't figure out how to embed the pictures I have posted on my other site: http://fudette.spaces.live.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I embedded them but can't figure out how to put them where I want them!

    ReplyDelete