Friday, January 20, 2012

1,,,2,,,3,,,

...4...5 When I was taking education courses, a wise professor taught us to count to five slowly before calling on a student to answer a question. She explained that students process differently and it takes some longer than others to come up with an answer.

This lesson has come in very handy in grandparenting (yes, I did make up that word) a child on the autism spectrum. It seems that the brain of someone with autism doesn't work in the same way as the average person's. (If you like, I can refer you to some sites for further explanation.)

In the part of the northeast that we live in, we tend to be in a rush. This makes us want answers to our questions as soon as we ask them.

"What did you have for lunch in school today. Huh? What?"

This might be asked with little pause between the three questions.

I noticed that we were doing this with Isabella. After remembering what my dear professor said, I started pausing and watching my girl. I was actually able to "see" her gears turning while she processed the question.

When Bells was in pre-k, Jordan longed for her to be able to answer that simple question about lunch. Now, she can! Sometimes the answer comes easily and other times I need to prompt her. Her progress, though, is wonderful!

Whether on the autism spectrum or not, it is kind to wait on answers from those around us.

So, too, is it wise to wait before answering questions. I tend to suffer from "foot in mouth disease" because of some of my "unfiltered" comments.

The weekend is here and we are anticipating snow. I think I will sleep through it. What are you up to? g

This post is part of a blog hop at Company Girl via Home Sanctuary Why not visit?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gail,

    You are a wise lady, who does a wonderful job grandparenting, I like that word, made up or not.

    Yes, I too answer too quickly sometimes, put my foot in it and then regret it.

    We are so fortunate that our Lord is a patient parent and teacher - are we not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent lesson! We should all pause and wait for an answer. This would even be an especially helpful lesson for those people taking food orders from others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What a good idea to count to five. I will not only use that in our homeschooling day, but also when I teach two classes during the week. Such a good idea!

    Isn't it precious when we get to see progress in those we love. Here's hoping you many more wonderful steps forward in the future.

    ReplyDelete