Friday, May 18, 2012

Team Isabella Walks Again

This Sunday, for the third year, Team Isabella will walk for Autism Speaks, an organization which helps families affected by autism.

We walk because:

...Isabella is Boo and I am Booboo, team captain.

...although Isabella can speak, she still can not express herself in a "typical" way.

...every 11 minutes, another family receives the devastating news that their child has a form of autism.

...at least 1 in 88 children are on the spectrum.

...parents and families and people on the spectrum need a place to go for resources.

...money is needed for research. Yes, we want to know what causes autism. Yes, we want the option to cure and prevent it.

...because we want to at least FEEL like we are doing something, anything to make a difference.

...because, when I spend time with my friend's neuro-typical four year old, I mourn a little bit despite loving Isabella just as she is.

...because we love.

If you would like to make a donation to Autism Speaks through Team Isabella, you can contact me at bonhomie7@msn.com.

Many blessings, g

6 comments:

  1. We love to do walks too! It definitely makes a difference in raising money and awareness! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stopping by from Company Girls. I have a 16 y/o with autism who is now nearly recovered thanks to gf/cf diet and YEARS of ABA therapy/ST/OT/PT/ Sesory integration, etc. It's a hard road, but one with blessings along the way none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post, you gave me goosebumps! I wish I could come and walk with you :)

    You are doing something and are making a difference. You're already raising awareness, I learnt some new things just in this post. I had no idea that it was at least 1 in 88 children who are on the specturm, I really didn't realise it was so many! I'll link you in my post today so that hopefully some of my followers will pop by :)

    I'm wishing for sunshine for you on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Go team Isabella!
    Seems we are both walking this weekend, for great causes.
    I hope it's a good day for all those involved. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend your Sunday, surrounded by others who care and are committed as much as you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good cause. I have a nephew that is on the spectrum. He is 18. Because of strange circumstances he was diagnosed, but that never made it to the parents.
    So, he has never had any help for it.
    I hope you raise a lot.

    ReplyDelete