Friday, September 4, 2009

Fun, Fatique and Farewells Falderal

It was quite a week here in gville. I watched Isabella four of five days (I told The Girl to get someone else to watch her on Thursday when I could barely keep my eyes open Wednesday from insomnia and fatigue).

We visited a great park on Monday, the same park on Tuesday with a school chum and his mom and two sisters and a local zoo on Wednesday. Exhausting and fun.

As for farewell, we attended a wake this afternoon. Our bcf's sister-in-law passed after a long illness. Only 69 years old. God rest her soul. She and her husband were sweethearts from the time they were fourteen and fifteen.

Life can sure throw us curve balls. What's the old saying, "We make plans and God laughs?"

We never planned on having a grandchild with autism but here we are. We are blessed that our Bells can communicate for the most part. I have been noticing some behaviors lately that are disheartening but we can address them with her teacher and therapists when school starts next week.

As you all know, we wouldn't trade our Isabella for a neurotypical child. She is who she is and autism is a part of her. Eventually, she will, more than likely, be in a regular classroom. She will probably always have "eccentric" ways about her. Truth be told, it is my own eccentricities that I tend to like best about myself! My buddy, M, says I am definitely on the spectrum! (Her son is in Bells' class and we can kid around like that.)

Do you have any interaction with a person with autism? Well, uh, yea! Bells and now her friend. It is an educational experience nearly every day. Am I happy for the education? Most days.

What do you know more about than you would have chosen to know about? Cancer and autism. I have had more experience with them having to do with people I love than I would ever choose to.

Have you ever gone skydiving? Would you? Are you out of your cotton pickin' mind?!

What would you like to try to do that you haven't done before? Hmmm...why do I ask questions I don't have a ready answer for? How about a missions trip. I like my comfort zone and could use an attitude adjustment.

Is there any such thing as an honest politician? Oh, I hope so.

For my American friends, enjoy your Labor Day weekend. For everyone else, enjoy your regular weekend!

blessings, gail

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any interaction with a person with autism? – There was an autistic kid at the school where I work a while back, but my only contact was very brief in passing, nonetheless he was well looked after by everyone.

    What do you know more about than you would have chosen to know about? ¬– Living in a house of several women has more cons than I ever envisaged. ;)

    Have you ever gone skydiving? Would you? – It’s on my to-do-list, you only live once.

    What would you like to try to do that you haven't done before? – Learn a new language, I’ve always wanted to do it but never did anything about it. However recently I saw an ad of evening classes so if time allows I’d certain like to sign up.

    Is there any such thing as an honest politician? – The cynic in me says eventually they all let you down despite having the best intentions. If it’s any solace, some occasionally posses enough integrity to do the right when making tough decisions as well as owning up when they were at fault instead passing the blame to someone else.

    ReplyDelete