Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Joy in the Journey

"There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
And freedom for those who obey
And all those who seek it shall find it
A pardon for all who believe
Hope for the hopeless and sight for the blind
To all who've been born in the Spirit
And who share incarnation with Him
Who belong to eternity stranded in time
And weary of struggling with sin
Forget not the hope that's before you
And never stop counting the cost
Remember the hopelessness when you were lost
There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
And freedom for those who obey
And freedom for those who obey..."

Michael Card has such a way with words. He writes that joy is conditional; one must "obey."

I have never been disappointed when I have obeyed God's word. My greatest joy has been in my salvation. Before knowing Him, I did not know joy. When I am not in His will, I stumble and fall into the depths of despair.

Why do I make my life so difficult? If I only obey I will know joy! Like a petulant child, I want my own way! Oh, but that I would have eyes that would see and ears that would hear!

Thankfully, my God is patient.

2 comments:

  1. It's taken me way too long but I really do believe those words now, joy in the journey, lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. People always seem to think that doing things for God is a sacrifice, but once I've moved out of my comfort zone, nothing makes me happier. :-)

    ReplyDelete