Monday, April 15, 2013

Kalamazoo and Tigger, Too

Makes no sense. I know. My brain and body are fried from moving (did you know that boxes can clone themselves?). I was thinking about the funny names some places have. Kalamazoo (Michigan) was a Native American name that the settlers twisted to sound "normal" to them.

How about Tightwad, Missouri. Legend has it that someone was shortchanged there and talked badly about the place evoking this curse of a name.

Santa Claus, Indiana is one place you never have to worry about taking down the Christmas lights.

One of my favorites is Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Seems that it was named after a 1950's radio show.

Cool, California...need I say more? Actually, it was named for a traveling preacher but I'll bet natives would say otherwise.

Any "cool" sounding towns by you?

2 comments:

  1. I always thought Bald Knob, Arkansas was different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail,
    Can't think of any at the moment. Hope you continue to get sorted, I am still trying too get sorted completely from my move in November, but I am getting there now.

    ReplyDelete